The Sad History of the “Redlegs” of Barbados

The Sad History of the “Redlegs” of Barbados

Until April 23, you have the opportunity to view  the fascinating documentary of Barbados’ so-called Redlegs (click here), “Barbado’ed: Scotland’s Sugar Slaves,” by Chris Dolan. Or go  the Irish TV statiwww.tg4.tv, click on “documentaries” on the top of the screen, then “anamnocht” on the left side, then click on the arrow at the bottom of the screen until you see the 3-part video.

Also, Sheena Jolley who has done research on the Redlegs and photographed some of them in St. John in 2000 and 2008 has photos of them on her website http://sheenajolleyphotography.com/.  She is seen on the documentary.

I thank “BajanBeauty” for making me aware of this and providing these links. You only have until April 23, 2010: please view the documentary as soon as you can.  xx Jane (Below is my original post, which provides a bit of background):

I thought the lush, open ground in St John’s parish known as Little Scotland was so called because of its moist, green beauty.  Last night I discovered the sad truth behind the nickname.

"Little Scotland," Barbados

"Little Scotland," Barbados

The first slaves to work Barbados’ sugar cane plantations were Scottish, not African.  Mostly POWs from the 17th-century civil war in England, they were shipped to Barbados by Cromwell as “indentured servants,” although the terms of their servitude weren’t honored.

The Scots were ill-adapted to the Caribbean climate and treated as poorly as the Africans who came after.  Even after emancipation in 1854, they fared poorly, welcomed neither by White society nor Black.  Today, many of their ancestors, most of whom live in St John’s district, don’t know about their forebears. The poor don’t leave records; their identity is lost to history.

Until now.  Scottish author and broadcaster Chris Dolan is creating awareness through his documentary called “Barbado’ed: Scotland’s Sugar Slaves.”  He interviews direct descendants who live here on the island and discusses why, 350 years after their families first arrived, they still have no role on the island and remain isolated, eking out a subsistence living.

Romping along the posh platinum coastline of our beautiful country, you’d never guess.

34 Responses to “The Sad History of the “Redlegs” of Barbados”

1. Ashmita says:

Think he removed the vids Jane. Didn’t get to see them either.

2. Thank you both. I appreciate the heads-up, Ashmita.

Mark, I’m afraid the BBC iPlayer is unavailable to those of us outside the UK. Darn! If you have another idea, please let me know. Thanks!

3. Baje says:

Wow, so sorry I missed this post. I haven’t had the chance to keep up on the Net recently. As my family is from St. John, this story really interests me (have not had a chance to see the movie.) What is really interesting is how the Redlegs (which is a racial slur actually) have been able to get on in relative obscurity. Most of them have either moved on, or mixed with the Black population, with only a small population of basically in-bred remaining.

As a youth, it was unclear to me that they were any different from anyone else. Frankly, they are more Bajan than most West Coast and South Coast people. I of course, hope that more Redlegs (like COW Williams, his brother Bizzy, and Rihanna’s father) can escape from the poverty cycle too.

Might also add that the horror of the RedLegs era is not just that criminals were “Barbados’ed” but also young children– male and female and also women were taken away from Ireland for our shores.

Oh, I’m just glad there’s a post on St. John :-D

4. Thank you for your comment, Baje. Yes, this is fascinating Barbadian history. The filmmaker depicts the history and the folks he interviewed with sensitivity and respect. I hope you get to see the film. I was really sorry to see it had been taken off YouTube. The marginalization of these folks – as you say, women and children as well as men – is a shameful part of Barbados’ past. Like slavery in the US, it’s a story that needs to be told.

5. Sean Gibson says:

This is a fantastic film! Was a very disappointed that the BBC only showed it in Scotland. I managed to view the film at it.truveo.com although you might have to install some free software to view it.
    I remember some time back in the eighties Channel 4 broadcasting a programme called the Red legs of Barbados.

6. Meridian says:

I have found a copy of the documentary located at this website

7. How absolutely wonderful! Good sleuthing! I will go watch it again. The Redlegs are a fascinating part of Barbados’ history; their legacy lives on in this wonderful documentary. Thank you!

8. nora Hussey says:

I am embarking on a long range project on the irish who were shipped away. I’m going to barbados for the first time next month and hope to at least get a feel for what people know about this awful history in the present day…

9. Kerry Murphy says:

Nora-

If you have not already found this book;
    “To Hell or Barbados, the Ethnic Cleansing of Ireland”,
    you can find it here :

It is an interesting read on this very Topic, and surely there is more to tell – hope that helps.

Peace.
    Kerry

10. cormac cullen says:

i watched a documentry TG4 (irish tv station) on 28/12/09 and to my shock/horror i discovered that the ancesters of the men and women who stood against the tyrant oliver cromwell at the seige of drogheada in the mid 17th cenuary (where every 10th man was set aside for deportation and the rest were put to the sword) were to be found living abject poverty…. what in the name humanity has the irish goverment done to offer support to these unfortunite disenfranchised people………cormac cullen westport, mayo.

11. Thank you for writing, Cormac. The past does haunt us, doesn’t it? There shouldn’t be – but there are – innumerable shameful and horrific acts against our fellow human beings throughout history. I wish I’d seen the documentary on Irish TV that you’re referring to here ….

12. Sue Larkin says:

Hi There,
    I saw the documentary on Irish TV and was very shocked; I am fairly well educated but had never even heard a whisper of the Irish in Barbados. I work for a youth organisation and would consider trying to raise funds for a youth exchange if there is a group that works with this minority. I think it would be great to bring a group of Irish young people from Irish and african backgrounds and a simular return visit by Barbadian young people.
    Keep up the good work.
    Sue. (Waterford, Ireland)

13. Thank you, Sue. No, I think most of us living in Barbados know very little about this aspect of the island’s history. Now that I do know, I notice the “Redlegs” as I drive through the countryside. I love your idea of an exchange program. What do they say about not learning from history doomed to repeat it?

I appreciate your comment, Sue. Thank you.

14. Rob says:

“The Redlegs of Barbados” produced sometime in the late 80′s by either BBC or HTV was an eye-opener for some Barbadians when it was screened on CBC back then.

15. I have to say, I really enjoy this website. Could let me know how I can keeping up to date with it? By the way I found your website through Aol.

16. Ileana, good morning. There’s a place on the front page of my blog where you can sign up to receive updates; I’ll fill it in for you with your e-mail address. Thanks for wanting to hear more!

17. Aoife says:

Hello, I go to Barbados annually on my holidays and i have seeked out the redlegs on my visits there, you can certainly see them around st martins bay or a few of them collecting bottles at the oistins fish fry on a Friday night. Unfortunatly when the The National Archives of Ireland building burnt to the ground in 1922 all of the documents on file for these era were destoyed for ever. The passenger lists etc, all gone. Many of the indenture irish slaves left Barbados for Moneserrat, another tiny caribbean island, today the irish culture on this island remains intact and they are the only other country in the world to have st patricks day as their national holiday!

18. Aoife says:

I should note that I was referring to the National Archives in Dublin, Ireland in my last post.

19. Thanks for this information, Aoife. It’s a complex and fascinating history; I wasn’t aware at all of the Moneserrat connection at all – thank you. How sad that the documents were lost in a fire at the National Archives in Ireland! I appreciate your writing. When you seek out the Redlegs on your visits to Barbados, are you taking an oral history from them? Doing so would provide a valuable addition to the history of the Redlegs in Barbados.

Thanks for writing!

20. Aisling Nolan says:

Hiya im doind my project for my leaving cert on the redlegs In Barbados and have searched high and low on the internet for the documentary but cant find it any where. does anyone know where i can find it it would be a massive help?

21. I’m so sorry, Aisling. The videos seem to surface and then disappear. I hope someone can help you find them again. Don’t give up!

22. Aisling Nolan says:

thanks a million jane

23. Edward Barbour says:

It now appear that far more Scots were shipped to the America’s as well as the Caribbean and sold as slaves as was first thought. Many were political prisoners fighting for Scotland after the act of union with England in 1707 (that created the UK). The Act of Proscription (1747) was widely used in Scotland to round up disidents and sold off into slavery.
    The act stated as follows:
    ‘That from and after the First Day of August 1747, no man or boy within that part of Great Britain called Scotland, other than such as shall be employed as Officers and Soldiers of His Majesty’s Forces, shall on any pretext whatsoever, wear or put on the clothes, commonly called Highland clothes (that is to say) the Plaid, Philabeg, or little kilt, Trowes, Shoulder-Belts, or any part whatever of what peculiarly belongs to the Highland Garb; and that no tartan or party-coloured plaid or stuff shall be used for Great coats or upper coats, and if any such person shall presume after the first said day of August, to wear or put on the aforesaid garments or any part of them, every person so offending…. shall be liable to be transported to any of His Majesty’s plantations beyond the seas, there to remain for the space of seven years.’
    As we know many were kept as slaves well after their period finished.
    Its also interesting that (Norfolk born) George Washington kept slaves well after the War of Independence, which in all likelyhood included Scots that had been bought.
    Which brings to mind what happened to Scottish soldiers captured during the War of Independence. As a vast number of colonial males were in the continental army, the Americans would use the prisoners of war to work the land, Im wondering now if they were given a choice of becoming slaves (as in slave labour, owned by a land owner) or be incarcerated in jail (which in reality was just slightly better than death, due to the grim conditions). I have a personal interest in this latter comment as my 6xGreat Grandfather was a Scottish soldier captured in 1776 and didnt re-appear until 1783 for repatriation back to Scotland.

24. Edward Barbour says:

Another related story about Scots sold into Slavery and were shipped to Virginia and Barbados
    ‘The Dunbar Martyrs’

25. stiofan o labhrai says:

sad. scottish, once persecuted – now fight for “english crown”.The six occupied counties have suffered much from scottish regiments in English Army

26. robwat81 says:

I just got done seeing this film and it was a eye opening film.Lots of things i did’nt know about white slaves and history of the irish.coming from irish decent i like knowing history of where i came from and what happen to them in the past.You can find a copy of this film on Btjunkie.com its a great copy.

27. Anibal Grear says:

I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or blog posts in this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i am satisfied to convey that I’ve a very good uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I most indisputably will make certain to do not fail to remember this web site and give it a look regularly. FindUK London Escorts, 53 Regency Street, London, SW1P 4AF, 020 3011 3058

28. ejam says:

The British slaves in the West Indies, The Bahamas, and Guyana,were given apprenticeship in 1834,in preparation for their emancipation in 1838. There are some errors in these documentaries by people who have not paid attention to the year of emncipation. Barbados,Trinidad and Tobago, St Lucia, Dominica, Antigua, St.Vincent,Jamaica, Grenada, ,The Bahamas, and Guyana, are very aware of their history, and take pride in reconizing the day of Emancipation of their ancestors, and their date of Independence, as well as being members of the United Nations.

29. ejam says:

I mean’emancipation’–freedom from slavery–for blacks –
    and whites.

30. Pamela J. Hilton says:

I have done some historical research and have found one of my direct ancestors was a Scot soldier sent to Massachusetts as an indentured servant after the Dunbar battle, massacre, POW holocaust, and the remaining 1200 or so out of 12 thousand soldiers at that battle were sent to Virginia, Barbados or Massachusetts. In BOston they were sent to iron foundries to make nails, etc. Some of them made it to Canada later and other parts of the world. But many do not know this story about how despicable the slavery of all these people of Scottish or Irish background as well as African and Native people who were sent to work the sugar plantations. Wow!!! We need to hear about ow they did survive and get together and thrived! With much respect, Pam Hilton of Sudbury, MA, USA

31. History | says:

[...] A friend of Scottish descent often spoke of the fact that his Scottish ancestor was a slave on a plantation near Savannah, Georgia. I was skeptical. And since I also had Scottish ancestors, I began researching Scottish history. And found out he was right…Scots had been enslaved at various times and in various circumstances (Have you ever heard of the Redlegs of Barbados?) [...]

32. bim says:

An interesting and forgotten part of history. It wasn’t only Irish and Scottish that were sent over by indenture, it was also English (e.g. prisoners following the Monmouth Rebellion in the west country), and others. I have both English and Scottish indentured background in Barbados, but funny how all whites there are viewed by a lot of the black population as former slave masters

33. Yes, it’s (sadly) true that we human beings have a tendency to lump all of a group into a single stereotype we carry. The population of Barbados is, in fact, amazingly diverse.

Thank you for your fine comment.

Jane Shattuck Hoyos