Barbados & The Yacht: Whatever Floats Your Boat

Barbados & The Yacht: Whatever Floats Your Boat

Darn! How could I have missed a 118-meter-long yacht that looked like it didn’t so much sail into Barbados as landed in our port from a distant planet?

I read about the Philippe Starck yacht that’s been docked here in Barbados this week on Barbados artist Corrie Scott‘s blog … she saw it, snapped some photos, and described it on her site Caribbean Serendipity as ship/yacht/submarine.  When she Googled “luxury boat that looks like a submarine,” Corrie learned details from a site called Luxury Property Blog.

Look at this thing!  Don’t tell me size doesn’t matter.  Good grief; this floating island is to boats what 64-ounce cups are to soda. Not that I don’t find it beautiful; I actually do. It’s just so … obscenely … big.

Visiting Barbados: Phillippe Starck "Size Matters" yacht. (Photo links to Luxury Real Estate blog, where I borrowed these photos with permission.)

Visiting Barbados: The Philippe Starck "Size Matters" yacht. (Photo links to Luxury Real Estate blog, where I borrowed this photo with permission, copyright Mark Knowles.)

Here’s the scoop:

– Designed by Phillipe Starck, French designer who sees the potential beauty of everyday items and has designed everything from furniture to fly swatters.  Never mind this stunning (to me, anyway) space-age yacht; I would be delighted to own the Philippe Starck juicer that one of the 42 staffmembers aboard probably uses to squeeze juice in the morning.

– It’s owned by Russian billionaire Andrey Melnichenko.

– The name of the yacht is A (as in “fuckin’ A”?).

– It was built by the German ship-building company Blohm + Voss.

– It’s 118 meters long, has 3 swimming pools and 5 guest suites.

– It may have cost 150 million Euros to build, although who’s counting, a classic case of “If you have to ask …”

– The fuel tank holds 757,000 liters of the diesel fuel required to run it; “fill ‘er up” would run around $1.4 million US and run the boat for around 15 days at cruising speed.

A photo Corrie took gives a good idea of how massive this floating giant is relative to the people on it:

Corrie Scott photo; used with permission. Those specks are actually people.

Corrie Scott photo; used with permission. Those specks are actually people – people enjoying Barbados' beauty and beautiful climate.

And that’s how the other .000000000000001 percent live.

10 Responses to “Barbados & The Yacht: Whatever Floats Your Boat”

1. Rachel says:

Mom! I can’t believe you used the f-word!

2. Hello, darling,

First, thank you for reading. You are a generous soul, sweetheart – I know how busy you are.

Second, that’s the expression … I didn’t want to use the f word and tried writing it as “freakin’ A” — but it didn’t work because the expression is not “freakin’ A” …

Big love from mum

3. stephen says:

I didn’t know that expression, but thanks, I do now!

Also thanks for telling me where the ship is, I wondered where I’d absentmindedly left it…

4. RumShopRyan says:

Wow, what a big lady. My jaw actually dropped a little bit when I saw the first photo. I’m glad designers are pushing the ship/yacht making boundaries. All the yachts are starting to look the same. This one is “freaking” unique. Cheers!

5. See all the great things you can learn from hanging around (or reading the blog of) a Yank, Stephen?? The “A” in that tasty little expression, btw, means “awesome.” Which aptly describes the boat you misplaced.

6. Great comment; thanks, RumShopRyan. I’ve read that many detest the design … but love it or hate it, it is for sure just as you describe it — jaw-dropping — isn’t it? I wonder how the world looks from the vantage point of being on the boat? I guess there’s comfort in knowing that our great Barbados rum tastes just the same on — or off, where I’m likely to always be — the “A.”

7. Ronchetti says:

Nice post,
    Thanks for the effort you took to expand upon this topic so thoroughly. I look forward to future posts.

Ship a boat to the caribbean

Fast ships that run on flexible schedules and a skilled and experienced personnel allow shipping companies to satisfy customers as well as fulfill all operational requirements and adapt to ongoing business conditions. When a shipping company offers convenient, rapid, and secure service, you will feel confident that your goods and cargo will make it safely to their shipping port destination.

8. Yacht Boat says:

Hey, was just browsing on the internet looking for some information and came across your site. I am impressed by the information that you have on this site.
    Wonderful. Thanks a lot. Nice post
    I always like to hear other perspectives – and thank you for sharing yours

9. Bill Flaherty says:

F..in A That thing is a beast! It has got to cost A billion itself, It’s like having a luxury hotel on water! I love What you have named it to Jane. See you in 12 DAYS!

Bill